Nuachtlitir Scoil Mhuire, Miliùc Nollaig 2016
A Thuismitheoirí, a chairde,
- Christmas Concert – Parents, guardians, families and friends are cordially invited to our school Christmas concert which is being held on Friday 16th December starting at 11.00am. Time to be confirmed.
- Christmas Mass – Our Christmas School Mass is being held on Thursday 22nd Dec at 9.30 am, where Fr. Carroll will give a special blessing to our new Junior Infants, and bless all our school pupils.
- Fr. Gerry Dalys Food Appeal – Scoil Mhuire is again collecting for the poor of Limerick in conjunction with the Fr. Gerry Appeal. Any non-perishable items of food donated will be forwarded on your behalf. Many thanks for all your donations to this worthy cause in past years.
- Shoe Box Appeal : This year in conjunction with the Team Hope we collected shoe boxes for the poor in war torn and poverty stricken countries. Team hope wishes to thank, the very kind and caring children of Meelick School, where a massive 72 boxes were collected for this worthy cause. These shoe boxes have been dispatched this week to DR Congo and Russia.
- Caherdavin Credit Union art Competition – Congratulations to the following pupils who were winners in the art competition: Sean Ryan, Eila Sherlock, Olga Kyrychenko, Chloe Halvey, Anna Linehan Arnaud and Ellie Geary. Best of luck to those pupils who now will go forward to represent our school in the regional final.
- 1916 Commemoration – Watchouse Cross Library have published a book commemorating 1916 titled “What if the dream comes true?”. Several contributions of our pupil’s artwork and poetry are included in this lovely book. This book was launched at the library and those pupils whose work was included attended the launch. It was a great celebration of poetry art and 1916. Copies of this book are available in the school to borrow/view. Well done to all those involved.
- Green Schools – Work has started on achieving our Green flag for water. Some committee members attended an An Taisce water forum in Ennis to learn more about the theme. Expect lots of water conservation tips in the New Year!
- Halloween Fancy Dress – Our Halloween Fancy Dress fundraiser, incorporating our Green Schools theme “Water” was once again an amazing spectacle. We salute the creative endeavours of parents and the aplomb with which the students showed the creations. Art and imagination were winners on the day! Well done to one and all. Our school raffle raised €370.90 for school funds which has contributed greatly towards the cost of mini magnetic whiteboards and markers for each pupil in the school for maths/literacy classes and which we have found to be a motivating factor for all our students.
- Library Visit – Fourth/Fifth/Sixth class attended Watchouse Cross Library to hear story teller and locally published author, Bob Burke, he spoke on the process of creative writing and of getting published. He also focused on where ideas come from and his own inspiration. Food for thought at what was a most enjoyable, interesting and worthwhile workshop.
- Music Generation – Mr. O Donnell’s Fifth/Sixth class attended a Glor concert celebrating Glors 15th birthday. As well as performing in a variety of pieces on the stage, the pupils also participated in a Rap workshop under the tutelage of Ronwen Hayes their singing tutor. The standard of our schools performance was lauded as extremely high and their excellent behaviour on the day was noted. Once again our pupils made us proud!
- Doodle for Google – Some of our classes have entered the Doodle for Google art competition again this year. Best of luck to all the entrants!
- Clare Traditional Singer in Residence – Elle – Marie O’ Dwyer conducted a four week workshop with 4th,5th and 6th classes. Our pupils benefited from being taught several old traditional Irish songs and exploring another facet of our Irish heritage.
- Football Ball Blitz – 4th,5th and 6th attended a Football blitz in Broadford in October. Meelick, Clooney, Tulla and Killaloe schools took part in this very enjoyable day out.
- Munster School Swimming Gala – Congratulations to Emma Ryan 6th class who represented Meelick school and came third in the Back Crawl. Well Done Emma!
- School Development – Maths Problem solving is now in place for 4th – 6th classes. Literacy Lift Off – is in place for 1st and 2nd class.
- Building works – Works are in progress and nearing completion on the upgrade of an existing classroom to the rear of Meelick N.S. The work involves the installation of: High density insulation to the floors, walls and roof, new heating ventilation and electrical systems, floor covering and decoration.
- Croke Park Hours – These are being used for morning supervision, teacher personal planning, staff meetings, parent/teacher meetings and PDST support in Numeracy and Team Teaching.
- School Closures – Christmas holidays will commence on Thursday 22nd Dec and we will return on Monday 9th Jan 2017. Our school will also close on January 25th for whole staff training on new English Curriculum.
- Parents Association – Many thanks to our very supportive Parents Association. It has again raised much needed funds for our school through bag packing for two day in Dunnes Stores in September. A massive €2270 was collected. A sincere thank you to all those who helped out. These monies will be used to complete the installation of new high efficiency PVC windows throughout the school. Teas, coffees and light refreshments served by the Parents Association will be a very welcome addition to our Christmas Concert on Friday 16th.
Ni neart go cur le chéile.
- Nollaig faoi sheáin agus athbhliain faoi mhaise daoibh go léir.
- Finally, we would like to thank you for your continued support and wish you and your family a happy and peaceful Christmas and New Year ahead.
Maria O Looney Principal and